Serving Springfield, Branson, & SW Missouri

There are two main categories through which U.S. citizens or permanent residents can petition for relatives to come to the U.S. as permanent residents (green card holders): immediate relative and family preference visas.

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas

There is an unlimited number of visas for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, including:

  • Spouses (IR-1 visa)
  • Unmarried children under 21 years old (IR-2 visa)
  • Parents of U.S. citizens over 21 years old (IR-5 visa)
  • Adopted orphans (IR-2 and IR-3 visas)

These visas are easier to obtain and do not have the long wait times that family preference immigrant visas have.

Family Preference Immigrant Visas

A limited number of people can immigrate to the U.S. every year through the family preference immigrant visa program. Your wait time will depend on your relationship with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, your home country and the number of people who have already requested a visa in your category. The family preference categories are:

  • First preference (F1 visa): U.S. citizens' unmarried adult children
  • Second preference (F2A and F2B visas): Lawful permanent residents' spouses and minor children and unmarried adult children
  • Third preference (F3 visa): U.S. citizens' married children
  • Fourth preference (F4 visa): Siblings of U.S. citizens over 21 years old

For more information about petitioning for a relative to immigrate to the U.S., please call McBride Law at 417-324-7580 to schedule an appointment and begin the process.